New Chapel work in progress

In 1928 the Chapel was deconsecrated and workmen began to slice through the brick walls. The School held its collective breath as the eastern end of the vast structure, seemingly too narrow to hold itself erect, was slid upon tracks to its new location. The task of reconstruction then went forward as the void between the two parts of the old building was filled with Gothic tracery. Within, the added length deepened the sense of mystery. Two sections of seats and stalls, between the the altar and the pulpit, provided additional seating in an area to become known as “Sleepy Hollow.”

Photo 33 next photo


© Copyright 2005 Ohrstrom Library and St. Paul's School. Access to these images is provided for the personal use of staff, faculty, students, scholars, and the public. Any publication or commercial use without written consent of St. Paul's School is prohibited.