Hockey Rinks

Seven rinks and two practice rinks are seen on the Lower School Pond. The first ice hockey game in the United States was played at St. Paul’s on the Lower School Pond. The game was imported from nearby Quebec. The Athletic Association made the rules in 1884: eleven players on a side and goal posts to be ten feet apart. The puck was then called the “block.” Sportswriters called St. Paul’s “the cradle of American hockey” under the guidance and coaching of Malcolm K. Gordon of the Form of 1887 and faculty 1889-1917.

Photo 49 next photo


© Copyright 2005 Ohrstrom Library and St. Paul's School. Access to these images is provided for the personal use of staff, faculty, students, scholars, and the public. Any publication or commercial use without written consent of St. Paul's School is prohibited.